Sunday, August 21, 2011

Joining the Club + other News

I was deliberating whether to post this last week but was being indecisive at the time. I now made up my mind to be completely honest with the good and the bad here. So I have a humiliating announcement that should not be read by the faint of heart… I joined the club which means I pooped in my pants. There’s a name for it among Peace Corps trainees and volunteers here because apparently it happens to about 90% of us in Ghana during our service. When I was sick last Thursday with an upset stomach I mostly vomited but woke up from a nap because oops uh-huh IT happened. On the bright side I didn’t have to throw out any clothes or wash my sheets and it didn’t happen on my birthday. Plus I got to sign the shirt of a fellow trainee who was the first to join the club and now I have a ‘war’ story to share!

As few highlights from this week… a few of my fellow trainees joke that I am the most loved person here since I get a lot of packages and mail. So thanks to all my dear friends and family for sending me so much love in the form of stuff- you guys are the best! Speaking of which, I received an awesome package on Monday containing Funfetti cake mix and icing. The timing was amazing because I had just dreamed the night before of opening a fridge in the States and seeing my Aunt Barbara’s 7 layer chocolate cake (it’s amazing) and tiramisu (my favorite dessert) in it. I think maybe I missed having cake on my birthday. On Tuesday I brought America to Ghana in the form of watching the movie Enchanted with my host brother and nephew. We enjoyed the butterscotch candies they got me for my birthday and later had popcorn- one of my favorite snacks here. After the movie, I played Uno with Chief and taught him the Spanish for the numbers 1 to 10 as well. It was a nice break in a week full of language review. We started learning our traditional Ghanaian dance for the swearing in ceremony on Wednesday which was a lot of fun. Today I captured a video of my host nephew Raymond dancing to the song ‘I Love My Life’ so I will try to post that the next time I’m in a high speed internet cafĂ©.

I’ve been meaning to ask people to send me a comment or an email if you know people in Ghana. It’s nice to have contacts here so please let me know. I’m planning a post soon on the 50th anniversary of Peace Corps Ghana since the date August 30 coincides with our swearing in as Volunteers. Only one week of training left- the end is near! I want to end with a few shout outs in English and Buli (since I’m trying to practice every chance I get) . Ni zu masuk (congratulations) to the Akin family on the birth of cutie Mr. Maddox! Fi biam dai zu masuk (congrats on your birthday) to my sweet nephew Will who is turning 10 today! You’re so special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment