Friday, September 2, 2011

Whirlwind Week

Wow so it's been quite a week here in Ghana! Monday morning I said my goodbyes to my home stay family. We had exchanged thank you gifts the night before and they gave me beautiful white and black fabric that is traditionally worn to weddings and lots of nice beads. Waving to them as the taxi pulled away was reminiscent of my family goodbye in the airport 3 months ago now; of course I teared up. We left our training site in Kukurantumi bound for Valley View University where we stayed upon arrival in Ghana in June so our training came full circle.

Tuesday we were up and dressed in our finest Ghanaian clothes early to make the trip into Accra to the US Ambassador's house where swearing in took place. My home stay mom gave me lovely gray fabric with a yellow print and I got a matching yellow duku (head scarf) to go with it. I love this outfit! We were served real coffee and tea in nice china. The ceremony started at 10 and consisted of speeches, presentation of certificates of completion for training, our swearing in by taking an oath, dancing and drumming, and celebration of the 50th year anniversary as well. It was very inspiring especially having Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) present including one representative from the very first group in 1961. Then there was a reception with drinks, food, and mingling with current Volunteers, RPCVs, and dignitaries. Later in the day we found out we'd be staying in Accra a few more days than expected because President John Atta Mills requested an audience with us!

Thursday we went to Osu Castle for a program with His Excellency Professor John Atta Mills. There were tents and Ghanaian flag colored decorations setup in the garden. The program was about an hour long and consisted of speeches, a thank you in Twi by one of my fellow Volunteers to the President, and getting a group photo taken with the President. By the way I've posted some photos and shared news coverage on facebook of this event and the swearing in ceremony. Afterwards we were served drinks and food during the reception. Ghana TV was there to cover the story; a few people sitting at my table included myself were interviewed and made it on the news. My host brother called me that night to let me know they saw me on the tele and my host mom was really excited I was wearing a dress made out of fabric she gave me. My language trainer PP was very happy because I mentioned I'd be living in the Builsa district. My headmaster Clement also liked my shout out to Gbedema JHS where I'll be teaching.

Speaking of which, I'm headed to Gbedema tomorrow so I have a full week at my site before school starts. I'll be buying stuff for my house focusing on getting my kitchen setup so I can start cooking for myself. Then I'll be starting lesson planning for math and ICT and also solidify my classroom management plan. I'm practicing my stern face. It's been sad slowly saying 'See you in 3 months!' to most of my new friends. I'll see the folks living near by more often though and am already thinking about getting a kitten to keep me company. I'm excited and nervous to start life in my village as a Volunteer! The real job now begins...

1 comment: