Monday, November 12, 2012

Solar Lights for Students

I'm doing a project with some of my students to subsidize the cost of Unite to Light solar lights for them.  I was introduced to Unite to Light by a PCV I stayed with during training.  It's a non profit dedicated to providing low cost lighting to those without electricity in order to improve their quality of life and education by allowing children the opportunity to study in the evening. Check out a video made by the now  RPCV while he was still in his village to learn more.

Thanks to a generous donation by a group of RPCVS called Friends of Ghana our project only needs $100 more to be fully funded.  Each solar light costs less than $10 but will go along way to help my students furtheir their education in order to achieve their dreams and goals.  The summary below is what I wrote for the Peace Corps Partnership Program (PCPP) grant hoping it would compel people to donate:
As a junior high school teacher in Ghana, I have never heard the "My dog ate my homework" excuse, but I have heard "Madam, I couldn't do my homework because we don't have lights." I teach in a rural village in the impoverished Upper East region, with limited access to electricity. After school, students are expected to do many chores at home so find it difficult to find the time to complete their school assignments before night falls. Studies show that inadequate access to electricity directly correlates to illiteracy, poverty and health problems. This project hopes to alleviate this problem for students who aspire to become the future doctors, teachers, and lawyers of Ghana, by providing them with a solar light solution. This project targets 45 students mostly in our form 3 class because next year they will take the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE). This exam determines if they complete Junior High School and are placed at a Senior High School where they can further their education. In order to master the material they are taught in school and pass the BECE, they need to read, study, and do homework. Parents of students will be expected to make cost share contributions, in order to feel ownership of their solar light. These contributions account for 25 percent of the total project costs. The PCV will collect funds from parents of students before distributing the solar lights. Funds raised from this Peace Corps Partnership Program will subsidize the cost of the solar lights to these students who otherwise cannot afford them.

No comments:

Post a Comment