Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Madam


As the ICT (Information and Communication Technology or Computers as I like to call it) ‘madam’ at my school, I feel compelled to use technology to show my students how it can make life easier. So to aid in my effort to learn the names of my students, I had them fill out an index card with information about themselves (name, age, favorite subject, what job they want in the future, etc.). Then I had them line up outside in groups of 5 or so and took their photo. In the photo you see 5 of my form 3 (equivalent to 8th grade) students who all want to be teachers when they grow up. I’ll be introducing you to more students from time to time. Some of the most common names of my students include Gifty, Daniel, Abigail, and Robert. I have around 60 form 1 students, 75 in form 2, and 50 in form 3. They are still adjusting to my American English and I continuously find myself at a loss for words because the word my brain is telling me to say would mean nothing to them. So when new vocabulary words arise I do a little mini-English lesson. For example, last week in the form 3 class I ran into a desk. To which all my students exclaimed ‘Sorry Madam!’ I laughed at myself which then gave them permission to laugh at me as well. I took the opportunity to explain what clumsy means.

In other school news, we had our first staff meeting on Monday. One of the main topics was sharing of responsibilities and duties. Somehow I ended up being the secretary for the meeting and will be for subsequent meetings as well which should not be a big burden since staff meetings occur only occasionally. I am also the ‘Health Madam.’ I didn’t really know what this job entailed when I signed up for but I soon found out I (with the help of my assistant) am expected to run the health club and work on initiatives set forth by the district education office including having a pit for burning rubbish (trash), hand-washing station, students bring separate cups for drinking water, and latrines (currently the student use the public ones some distance from the school). All are worthy projects and I think it worked out well for me to take on this role since I hope to work on some health issues in the community including HIV/AIDS and malaria education. Also our timetable (schedule) was reset and now I am not teaching on Fridays. I will still go to school most Fridays but I am glad to have flexibility to do other things if I need it.

Over the weekend I went to Sandema on Saturday for market. My day was spent at market buying my food for the week and also eating way too much Ghanaian food (I had rice and beans for breakfast- does that count for being fully integrated?). I also visited the hospital with my friend Adam who works as a nurse there. It was a good reminder of why I am not working in the medical field- I can’t handle the smells and sights. The vomit, blood, wounds, etc. are not my cup of tea. But I did dispense smiles to patients as they were receiving medicine. I have so much admiration and respect for nurses and doctors everywhere. Side note: Many of my students aspire to be nurses and doctors and I’ve been thinking it would be good to have professionals come talk to them about their jobs… so if I can figure out a way to incorporate that into my lessons I want to try to make that happen. Back on track: After being productive shopping, eating, and visiting the hospital, it was entertainment time. I have replaced watching American football (not that I did it that much in the States) with watching football here. Adam is a Liverpool fan and is determined to convert me from my current team Manchester United. I like Man U because my host brother follows them and also I had their poster in my room at homestay so it just felt right. I will have to make my final decision soon because Liverpool will face Manchester United next weekend. Next I watched the nurses from the hospital play the teachers from one of the high schools. During the middle of the game a goat walked right through the middle of the field. I don’t think anyone noticed besides me.


I’ve had lots of questions about latrines recently so I thought I would describe mine to you. I have two and in each one there are two holes. Now at my homestay family you could actually sit (though I usually hovered you’ll understand why in a minute) and there was a toilet seat. To use my latrine, I must squat and though I have a piece of wood I have set aside to cover the holes I am usually lazy and don’t do it. Thankfully toilet paper can be bought here so I make sure that is on my shopping list. That luxury is well worth the 60-70 pesewas (~40-47 cents) I spend on a new roll each week. A few latrine stories… at homestay cockroaches loved the latrine so quite often I would yell when I discovered them which is my typical response really. One particular morning I went outside and unfortunately didn’t notice the odor of insecticide. So when I opened the lid at least 4 were crawling out of the latrine so of course I screamed and my host brother came the rescue. He would always tell me ‘Don’t be afraid’ but would then kill them for me. Last week here at my house I went outside to use the latrine before bedtime wearing my headlamp since I hadn’t bought a light bulb for that spot yet. A frog happened to be in there that I couldn’t see and proceeded to freak out and hop all over the place including bumping into my legs. Needless to say I bought a light bulb at market over the weekend since that ‘prince’ scared me! I plan to take a photo of the inside of the latrine for you to see but every time I think of it there are kids and students in my ‘back yard’ playing volleyball and football. And that would just be awkward… ‘why is that strange white lady snapping a photo of THAT?’ So please stay tuned for the exciting picture and also leave a comment if you have any burning questions about my life here in Ghana!

No comments:

Post a Comment