Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Part I: Clucky the Chicken

Last week I divided my form 3 class into 8 groups of 6 students to have them come to my house during break time to show them stuff we’ve been learning on my computer. I walk them through a demo of sorts (given my last job this is right up my alley) showing the features of the Windows user interface, uses of the internet, and components of a web browser. Then I ended with fun stuff like a mash up of Thriller and Heads will roll since Michael Jackson is super popular here, a brief intro to the Beatles with All You Need is Love (including showing them my t-shirt with the band and the title of the song), showing them the video of my host nephew Raymond dancing to I Love My Life, and their favorite games. I found out I have a game similar to Memory and then one where you bake a cake and I let them play those to practice their mouse skills.

Friday was a big day. First I bought a hen for 4 cedis (about $2.67) at the market in the morning. She chilled in my house for the day before going to live on a farm where I am hoping she will produce a plethora of eggs for me to eat. I kept forgetting she was there and would freak out every time I walked by. Thus her name is Clucky the chicken. In the afternoon, we had our first health club meeting of the year. I explained the rules of Heads Up, Seven Up to my collaborating teacher Joseph beforehand so we opened the meeting by teaching the students how to play and it was a smashing success. Please let me know what other American games you can think of so I can file them away for future meetings! Next we talked about some current health events including a malaria vaccine that’s being tested and partially funded by the Gates Foundation and a HIV pill that is under development. Prior to the meeting I recruited 3 girls to help mime 3 scenarios regarding hand-washing. Then I used that as a launching point to discuss important facts regarding hand washing. Next I had the students brainstorm other topics they want to learn about since it’s their club. Finally we closed by introducing a question envelope where the students can write down any health question they have anonymously and we’ll answer it in the next meeting. After the meeting, Chris and I set out on bikes to go to Fumbisi since it was market day. I’d been thinking about trying out bicycling there instead of taking the lorries since sometimes I have trouble with claustrophobia. I almost let myself be talked out trying it since a couple of teachers at the quarters expressed concerns because of the heat. But as soon as we left the sun went behind a cloud and with the wind it was a nice ride except for the dust blown up by passing vehicles. I was definitely glistening when we got there since it took about an hour but I really enjoyed the ride. We ran a few errands in town before heading back with several other Gbedema people. It was a nice to get a strong sense of doing as the locals do- I even biked in my Teva sandals though many of the guys were just wearing flip flops. Maybe I will next time! Tomorrow I'll post Part II.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have a hen and that it's called Clucky! Are you getting any eggs from her yet? Miss you, thank you for keeping up the blog!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete