Tuesday, April 17, 2012

All Vol

Once a year Peace Corps Ghana holds a conference for us meet up with all volunteers and many staff members, have sessions, share ideas, meet new people, etc. Yesterday we finished up the one for this year which was held in Bunso Cocoa College near our training site. Since we were so close to Kukurantumi I decided to go visit my homestay family for a couple of nights. I also went to meet the two new Upper Easters in the current health training group who will swear in as Volunteers on Thursday. One girl will be near Sandema so I’m hoping I can meet up occasionally with her for market. Today I’m interneting it up in the high speed internet cafĂ© in Koforidua. I was hoping to upload more videos but so far only one worked. I did upload tons of photos on facebook from this term teaching and also All Vol too.

The conference was Food Security themed so on Saturday there was a skills fair where we got to learn how to dry fruit, make cheese and jam, taste and vote on honey from all over Ghana, discuss gardening and tree nursery techniques, learn how to construct a hammock using empty water sachets, and more. The sessions on Friday went well but I really like the fair so I could get out of my seat and see what other people are doing related to food security. It was good inspiration.

The next day we also had a craft fair since many Volunteers work with different livelihood projects in Ghana such as jewelry making, batik, and baskets. I was too busy shopping to take photos unfortunately! We also met with the people in our region to determine committee members and I’m happy to be a part of the Ghana AIDS Project (GHAP) complete with a fancy new t-shirt. We had a meeting and I’m excited to see what we accomplish in the next year. Part of my role is to serve as a point of contact for all Volunteers in my region to help them with HIV/AIDS projects and liason with our PEPFAR Coordinator in Accra.

In addition to all the great information we got out of the conference we also had social activities including a game night, talent show, date auction to raise money for the Gender & Youth Development Committee, and prom wearing two-yard (cloth or fabric) togas. Check out my photos from prom on facebook!

I’m planning on taking a short break from blogging for a while. I’ll still be doing some posts on malaria since it’s World Malaria Month and World Malaria Day is coming up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment