Wednesday, March 6, 2013

6th of March, 1957

Last week I announced to my form 3 students that I wanted to give them a class test on Tuesday before the holiday. They quizzed me and asked “Madam what holiday?” so to answer their question I sang. “6th of March, 1957-7, Ghana’s Independence Day…Ghana is marching, Ghana is marching. Ghana, Ghana, Ghana is a marching.” The whole class erupted into laughter and thought it both hilarious and impressive that I knew “their song.” I explained that last year when they practiced their marching and singing for Independence Day I heard the song repetitively so I couldn’t help but learn it!

In typical Ghanaian fashion, the letter inviting 40 students to participate in marching at our new district capital class this year for Independence Day didn’t arrive until Thursday. This meant that a good portion of school time was devoted to practice on Friday, Monday and Tuesday which is almost better than weeks of practice. It’s rather ironic that Ghana celebrates its independence from British colonial rule by having school children march in colonial style marching. Much of the time kids are caned when they make mistakes but thankfully the new master at my school who led the students in the marching didn’t use this tactic. It’s particularly brutal in the North since it falls during hot season so the poor kids are sweating out in the sun while first practicing and then performing.

I had a funny conversation with some of my students who asked me if I knew how to march. I explained to them that I didn’t know how to do this kind of marching but that I participated in marching band in high school. It was pretty interesting trying to describe the instruments we use since only drums and wooden flutes are common here. But I did show them how to march by rolling their feet like we did in band. I kind of wish I had a video to show them of a marching band because I think they would be quite fascinated.

Yesterday the chosen 40 had their final practice in preparation for the big day and they were looking pretty good. Especially when compared to the first day of practice when there was much giggling and little seriousness. I decided to take a break from marking some class tests and walked out to the field to take some photos of them. More girls were chosen to perform and frankly they looked much better than the boys. The boys couldn’t quite get their arms and legs moving at the same time. But both the girls and boys were spot on in their salutes and singing. Today instead of having a day off like the rest of us they travelled with two teachers to Fumbisi. I think they were all proud to take part in celebrating their country’s independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment