Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Ridiculous

These are a few of the ridiculous things in my life...Some are funny but others are me trying to disguise complaining :)

  1. A bat swimming in the bucket full of water inside my wash room that I was going to bathe with
  2. My face while teaching today when we heard the sound of rain on the school’s tin roof- it barely sprinkled but still!
  3. A cow in my “courtyard” next to the latrine (since the gate broke) licking the ground- I could hear it
  4. 110 degree temperature highs- and the butt sweat caused by sitting in a chair in it
  5. The chalk shortage at my school
  6. The amount of water I now have to drink to stay hydrated (it’s probably 4-5 liters)
  7. Huge camel spiders inside my house (look them up- they’re terrifying even though harmless)
  8. That Skype was working at my house for about a month and that it just stopped working last week
  9. How the kids in my village love chopping (eating) green mangoes before they’re ripe- c’mon people, delayed gratification
  10. That folks who come in my house ask if one of the photos in my hall is of me (it is) because I guess I look so different here with my hair always up and no makeup
  11. How last week a student told me “Madam, you can work Maths!” while I helped him with a problem- my response “I’d better be able to if I’m teaching you how to do it!”
  12. Planning a wedding from a third world country- and that I can do it at all because of the internet in my middle of nowhere village
  13. That my countdown to Spain is almost at a month!
  14. How tired of kenke, banku, and other Ghanaian food I am
  15. The fuel/gas shortage in the North of Ghana
  16. How ready I am to go home sometimes yet at the same time how emotional I get when thinking about leaving the people I love here, especially my students
  17. The number of times Aladdin has starting playing for kids who come to my house (they now ask for Laddin and Princess)
  18. How much spare time I have- and the detailed trip planning and itineraries that come out of it
  19. The number of times I play the same few albums repeatedly
  20.  And I’ll save the most ridiculous thing of all for next week- it deserves its very own post

No comments:

Post a Comment