Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Stirring and Eating TZ

Linda stirring TZ, Grace looking, and Rita sprinkling water

Linda smiling, Grace looking, and Rita getting the water ready

TZ makes me happy!

Yum yum
These photos are from late March when my daughter Linda, her sister Grace, and friend Rita prepared the Upper East staple starch TZ (Tuo Zaafi) and a leafy vegetable soup.  It's one of my favorite dishes in the village.  I also took a video the same day for fun and to demonstrate my Ghanaian English.  When I was in Accra a couple of weeks ago I tried to upload it without success.  Hopefully I'll get around to uploading it once I'm home in August but until then here's a transcript of our conversation:

Madam: Linda, what are you doing?
Linda: I'm stirring TZ.
Madam: Ahhh (means yes in Buli). TZ- what does it mean?
Linda: (Laughter) Hey you don't know! (said very quietly)
Madam: What's inside?
Linda: mumble mumble
Madam: Huh?
Linda: Flour (pronounced fleur)
Madam: Flour- what kind of flour?
Linda: Millet flour
Madam: Mmm. It tastes nice?
Linda: Yeah! Very nice! (Grace and Rita also chime in agreeing Yeah!)
Madam: And then what type of soup did you prepare?
Linda: Eh wokta (I don't know how to spell the Buli word but that's my best guess)
Madam: Ahh my favorite!
Linda: Yeah
Madam: My best soup
The End

No comments:

Post a Comment