Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 in Review

I don't usually do an official year in review to be shared with others but I have a lot to be grateful for and I'm in a reflective mood so here it goes.  It had its ups and downs as life usually does...overall 2013 was a tremendous time of blessing in my life.
Went on a walking safari at Mole National Park in Ghana and saw wild elephants close up in their natural habitat

Helped other volunteers hold 2 successful HIV testing events in our region the Upper East
Saw my trained peer educators step up and fulfill their role in amazing ways by educating their peers on HIV prevention (so wonderful to see hard work pay off in work that sometimes doesn't see its impact until years later)
Got to "ride" a camel!  I've always wanted to do this!
Saw hippos in the wild

 Enjoyed all the sights Barcelona had to offer with my fiance (especially Gaudi's architecture) and ate delicious food- perfect treat for a Peace Corps volunteer!
Saw the Mediterranean for the first time!

Our Peace Corps family lost a dear, amazing sister; she was a friend to everyone and an inspiration to all of us

My niece Care graduated from high school which I hated to miss but couldn't be prouder.  She also started at Tech this fall- continuing the Jackets tradition in our family!

 
Saying my goodbyes in my village was definitely a bittersweet time but closing out my Peace Corps service felt great!
 
I took a "Close of Service" (or COS as we call it in Peace Corps) trip to England and met my sister and brother-in-law there.  We had a fabulous time in London and touring the countryside, including some Jane Austen sites.  I also went to Edinburgh a few days alone.


Started my part-time evening MBA at Kennesaw State and through my assignment as a graduate research assistant met the President of Ghana

Married my best friend and love

Became part of the Yeargan family

Honeymooned in Hawaii- highlights included a volcano, sea turtles, a luau, stargazing, hiking, and ample relaxation on the beach

I have all my stuff in one place for the first time in at least 3 years!  Feels good to start a home with Ed (my niece did this painting of our house for us for Christmas)

Added a black cat named Salem to our little family (Abby the German Shepherd is still getting used to her sister)


First married Christmas and at home with the family in 3 years!

Happy New Year everyone! Farewell 2013, cheers 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment