Sunday, December 29, 2013

Titus

I really wish I'd written about Titus before I left the village while I could better remember all his details. But somehow all the details involved in finishing my Peace Corps service well kept me quite busy. My friend Chris introduced me to Titus within my first few months in the village. I blogged about him a couple of times before, namely in the Too Cool for School post.  Because of that post, I came into contact with Rae who commented that she wanted to help Titus by translating the text to Braille- with a machine. So much easier than the laborious process we had begun!  The picture to the right was taken with one of the first boxes we received from Rae.  She not only sent the Braille of the English textbook but also magazines for Titus to read as well as some books of the Bible to help him teach Religious and Moral Education at the School.

I asked Rae what inspired her to help us and this is what she wrote: Titus's story lies at the intersection of two interests: Ghana and braille.  I was a high school exchange student in Ho and I now do freelance braille transcription work.  Whenever I tell people what kind of work I do, the first question they have is, "Why is braille still necessary with all the technology that is available?"  The simplest answer to this question is, "Braille is literacy". The number usually quoted in the US for braille literacy rates is between 10-15 percent and the vast majority of blind people who are employed read braille. Even in the US parents often have to fight to get braille instruction for their students. Reading that Titus was a braille reader and was eager to teach but didn't have a braille textbook, I wanted to offer my help. In this situation, technology actually makes braille more accessible. With only a slate and stylus, copying the book into braille is a huge task.  Being able to do the work on the computer makes the process much quicker.  I'd love to be able to go to back to Ghana and do braille production work there. Serendipitously, the school I attended, Mawuli Secondary School, opened a resource center for blind students last year and I've been collecting braille books and magazines for them.  Most of this material would otherwise be thrown away. Knowing how scare braille is in Ghana, I try to find a second home for whatever I can.  

Both Titus and I are so happy Rae helped us out!  It's amazing how blogs can connect people to work together when they've never met.  Big shoutout and thank you to Rae!!!



But the story doesn't end there.    Titus is smart as a whip but has only completed junior high school because of some unfortunate circumstances with his high schooling.  But he still has dreams and aspirations of returning to high school.  Titus wants to be a lawyer in the future but right now he's having a hard time coming up with the funds.  Before I left Ghana I helped Titus write a letter to the District to ask for their support because they do receive funds from the government to help disabled members of the community.  I keep in touch with Titus on the phone from time to time but the last time we talked he hadn't heard anything back from the District.  Last week the volunteer who replaced me called to let me know that she'd finally gotten in touch with the District and they're taking their time to give an answer.  She decided she really wants to try and help Titus by raising funds for him to start school next term by contacting her friends and family back home and asked me to do the same.  We're still trying to figure out the logistics of moving the funds and ensuring accountability but please contact me if you're interested in helping Titus.  I believe he's a good investment!




No comments:

Post a Comment