Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Being Engaged in Ghana

Obviously being engaged is awesome for many reasons but I want to focus why it is in Ghana specifically.  First of all, since I had to leave my real ring back home for safety reasons, I also have a ‘Ghana’ ring which is made from recycled silver, contains a fair trade gem, and was obtained from etsy.  So I got two engagement rings!  By the way, my fiancée has really great taste in jewelry just so you know. Anyhow, now when men here propose to me in many variations ‘Will you be wife? Can I be your husband? Will you marry me? ‘ I can just point to my ring and I don’t even have to say a thing.  It’s beautiful.  Not that I mind going into my Buli spiel ‘Sorry no.  I have a boyfriend (now fiancée).  His name is Edmund.  He lives in America.  He is an aeroplane engineer’ especially once I realized people actually listen.  For example, word spread last year so much so that if a man I’d given the spiel to in the past greeted me with a friend who proceeded to ‘propose’ he would tell the new guy no for me!  It’s great to be able to shame people when they ask me by showing them my ring.  For example, here’s  a related story from I first got back in country. While I was in a tro (minivan), I was flipping through the sole bridal mag I brought back with me and the guy next to me who apparently was also perusing pointed at a photo of a bride and groom.  Then he pointed to me and himself.  Again I just had to point to the ring finger and he was so ashamed he even buried his head in hands!  Another reason being engaged here is  great…it furthers the ongoing joke about me putting people in my suitcase when I come back to America.  Now that I’m engaged everyone wants to ‘come witness the wedding’ so of course I say they’re invited and we’ll have to pack them all in my luggage.  That’s all I can think of for now but I’ll be sure to update with more stories.
I know I blogged about biking last week but I’m going to do it again this week because having my own bicycle at my disposal has kind of changed my life here.  It’s definitely given me more freedom and the ability to stick to a more regular exercise regime.  Last week I biked to one of the sections of our village that I  hadn't seen before.  I’ve never had a reason to go and nobody’s every taken me but I decided to have an adventure and go there by myself.  Once I passed the chief’s palaceit was unknown territory to me.  But I soon approached a well where I met two of my students.  After greeting them, I continued and made it all the way to the Balerinsa primary school and perhaps JHS.  I mentioned in a previous post that there’s a new JHS in our village but now there’s some controversy about the site of it which now may be moved to this place.  As I was checking the grounds out, a couple of people approached who then decided to give me a tour.  Then more people came including two more of my students and tons of staring children.  The people who live close to me and who are along my regular biking routes are so accustomed to me now and don’t stare that much anymore.  It was funny to be reminded of what a sight I am to see for some- the first white lady (or person period) they’ve ever seen!  This particular evening I was also proud of the Buli conversation I was able to hold with the people there.  It was a great ride except I need to remember not to wait until so close to sunset to be returning because I’m pretty sure I ate some insects by accident riding back.  One some of the routes I take there are flowers along the roadside so I’ll stop and pick a few to take home for decorations.  My students think it’s the quirkiest thing ever I’m pretty sure.  ‘O Madam!  Flowers!?!?!’  I tell them that I think they’re pretty and I like looking at them in my house but I get mostly blank looks in return.  I even went as far as to try to explain to one student who commented on them that in America men give women flowers as a romantic gesture.  To which he responded that here if a man wants to marry a woman all he has to do is take apeteshie (local alcohol) to her family.  Touche.
Baby animals are everywhere right now so I’ve been enjoying all the kids, piglets, puppies, kittens, calves, etc.  I always (like once a week) go to greet my student Joyce’s family and they like laughing at my affinity for holding the baby goats.  I snapped this photo of one sitting in my lap and they got a kick out of me photographing it.  While waiting for the lorry to go to market over the weekend, I got to play with a puppy at the store where I usually sit on one of their benches.  When I asked the lady who owns the store what her name is, she told me I could name her.  I decided to give her the Buli name ‘Awenteme’ (God’s gift) since it’s one of the ones I know well.  I took a picture of her with a little girl Jocelyn that I’ll try to post soon too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment