Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happy World Teacher's Day!


Since tomorrow is World Teacher’s Day (for some reason I have this written on my calendar), I decided to assign a letter writing exercise for the ICT homework this week.  I explained to the class about the upcoming holiday and then told them I’d like each of them to write a letter to a teacher in the school thanking them for teaching.  I told them that even though we’re getting paid to a do a job it’s still nice to be thanked for your work and it makes you happier in your work.   I also told them not to choose me because the idea was to show the other teachers in the school appreciation.  When some of them protested, I said they could write me a letter but only after they’d written one to another teacher too.  I plan on giving the other teachers their letters tomorrow.  

I had to share the letters that I received from our Boys Senior Prefect Michael.  Michael was number one in the end of term exam results last year and is in my group of HIV/AIDS peer educators.  Today at our PTA meeting he shared a short speech (in Buli) he prepared and I edited (in English) on HIV/AIDS with the parents.  I was really proud of him for being so brave and confident in speaking in front of them.  He didn’t even use notes or anything.  He’s very bright, respectful, and overall a teacher’s dream.  Before you read his letter, let me explain one thing.  In the end of term exams for ICT form 2, some of the students had received leaked answers (we’re not sure how that happened but rumor has it teachers at another school gave out answers for whatever reason) to the objective portion.  Many of them received 40/40 marks or other high marks.  Because I’m very strict on cheating, I gave them all zeros, lectured them many times, and made them write me an apology letter.  My hope is that some of them really learned something from it and will never do it again. Enjoy the following 'formal' letter compelete with a title!  And remember English is his second language….

My Best Teacher


Dear Madam Carey,
I wish to write you this letter, how are you on this day? I hope by the grace of our Lord Jesus Chris you are well as I am.
The paramount reason why I am putting these words on the paper is that I want to thank you for being my teacher in this noble JHS.
It is because of your help I know something concerning Information and Communication Technology.  I also thank you very, very much for the love you love me.  Since you came to this school you have no problem with me.  You always advise me and also play (joke) with me.  So for that matter I like your decorum.  There is no way that I will forget of you in my life. 
Madam, I also want to thank you for what you have done to my colleagues at our final exams.  You deducted some marks from those who had the objectives forty over forty and it is a very good idea.  You have done this to prevent us from laziness and cheating in the examination hall.
I will like to end my letter here.
Yours faithful,
Akangye Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment