Monday, June 10, 2013

Ice Cream Party!

Congrats Candidates!  with me :)
I love this picture so much!  It was the first "crazy" one we took.  Please look at Michael with the C and shocked Paulina (not sure why) next to him.  Then jubilant Robert with the O

Time to celebrate!
Friday was an extra fun day at school because I decided to celebrate with my form 3 students.  On Sunday they'll leave for Fumbisi to write their BECE.  Translation: take the big, week-long exam which determines if they'll go to high school and where they'll go.  I taught these guys ICT and Math all last year when they were in form 2 and now teach them ICT in form 3.  Needless to say we have a pretty strong bond now.  As a goodbye present, I gave each of them a photo of myself kind of like school photos (dorky, I know).  But when I ordered them I thought they'd be closer to wallet size but in fact they're tiny like passport photos.  I told them any time they miss me they can look at the small me which they thought was funny.  I also gave our my contact info in America which prompted lots of conversation about how to call the States and vice versa. 

Next I bought an "ice cream" for each of them as a treat.  It's really flavored ice (ours was fruit from the baobab tree) but is delicious.  Finally we ended with holding up the signs in the photos above.  If you missed my recent post about my niece graduating from high school, my students held up signs for her a couple of weeks ago and then asked if I could also do one for them.  Of course I couldn't say no so modified the old ones to say "Congrats Candidates!"  That's what they're called the year they take their exam.  This week we'll finish up class with them, bid them good luck, and send them to Fumbisi.  I asked them to come and say goodbye to me before I leave.  I hope they do and that I can at least keep in touch with some of them to see what they end up doing in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment