Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New Favorite

Painted calabashes
My new favorite item (after my northern smock) I'm bringing home are these two painted calabashes. I'd heard the madam who comes to do the Catholic church service I sometimes attend paints them beautifully and was hoping I could get some from her.  Before I could even ask her for them, she gave me these two lovely ones last Sunday at church.  Here calabashes (made from a gourd) are typically for drinking pito ("beer" made from fermented millet or guinea corn) out of, serving flour to guests, or as bowls when selling products such as shea butter, shea fruit, and eggs.  I'll definitely be using them as wall decorations once I'm home- I think they'll be a great reminder of Ghana.  Speaking of home, I now only have 1 more month in Ghana!  It's pretty surreal and I think I'm in denial about saying goodbye.  I'll be traveling in England for about two weeks and will return to Atlanta around August 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment